Guts (Book)

 Guts

A book by Raina Telgemeier


          Thoughts can exist, feelings can exist, but words do not always exist........... However, you can try.

          Everyone has a different way of coping with stress, anxiety, and fear. Some overeat, some under-eat and some don't eat at all. My stress mechanisms are similar to Raina. When I am stressed or anxious, my gastrointestinal tract goes haywire. I don't overeat or under-eat. I eat an optimum amount. This doesn't make a difference because in a panicky situation that food simply needs to come out via an orifice. Sometimes, I feel that something is wrong with me but I have come to a realization that I just happen to have a very sensitive stomach.


          Can you be sick even if you're not sick? Can you be healthy even if you hurt? Guts is a story of elementary school kid Raina. She is dealing with friends, not friends and classmates who think the school year is just one long gross-out session. Raina has a terribly upset stomach. Her mom has one too, so, it's probably just a bug. But Raina's stomach just doesn't seem to get in control. Raina has tested herself for all possible diseases but all reports are negative. Finally, Raina's mom takes her to a therapist. The therapist tells Raina to breathe and feel the ground below her feet. She talks to Raina about her ideas, emotions, and opinions.  


          This graphic novel is for young readers but I do not believe in having an age range for a book. In my opinion, every book has something for everyone. It depends on the reader what they take away from the book. Guts taught me that fear and anxiety exist for everyone but people like me are more affected by it. This childhood fear will always exist. My fear of failure will always be there. We can only learn to manage it and prevent it from getting better of us. Different ways to deal with it include talking about how you feel with a friend, writing down your thoughts, drawing a picture or a comic, making music or plays. These activities give a vent to the strong emotions that we feel.  


Rating: 3.5/5


          As a victim of constant anxiety, I feel that it's important for me to convey a list of don'ts and dos to people giving bullshit advice to us.

Don't tell us:
  1.  Not to take the stress. We don't intentionally take the stress. It is our body's automatic defense mechanism to anything that we can't control. No one likes stress.
  2. Not to overthink. We don't overthink on purpose. You stating the obvious doesn't help our situation.
  3. To just chill. We know we have to chill. We just don't know how to do it. 
Do tell us:
  1. About various apps that provide guided meditation.
  2. How to manage time. We know we have to... but HOW?
  3. Which videos and books will help us chill.    

    




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari (Book)

Deciphering With Astha Dhal (Podcast)

The Trials of Apollo- The Hidden Oracle (Book)

Brooklyn Nine Nine! (Series)

The Picture of Dorian Gray (Book)