The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari (Book)

 The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari


          The following post has been divided into two parts. The first My Journey, followed by The book. In order to understand the importance the book held to me, it is necessary to understand the journey before. The value of the destination is truly understood only when the struggle before it is known. 


My Journey

          This year (2020) has been difficult for a lot of people due to the pandemic. Humans are a social animal. Self-isolation isn't something that comes naturally to us. As for everyone, 2020 was a mental roller coaster for me too.

          The year had a rocky start. I fell really sick in February, just before my boards. This put me in a state of delirium. I wasn't sure if I could give my board exam. I missed major events during this period. However, due to support from teachers and the family, I was able to give the boards. The last exam that was to be held on 28th March got postponed due to the pandemic. Ultimately, NEET which was to be held on 3rd May got postponed as well. There was no telling when the exams would be held. 

          On one hand, I was happy that I got more time for preparation. However, on the other, the wait was nerve-wracking. I had somehow managed to give the exam but it hadn't gone the way I planned. I was anxious about the results. My NEET preparation wasn't up to mark. I didn't know what I was doing. I withdrew from people, especially, my friends. Amidst these circumstances, I was aware that I was falling into a hell hole. I needed to get up. I needed to find myself. 

          Scrolling through various posts, I came across an Art of Living advertisement. According to the post, I could end my anxiety and find inner peace by attending the course. I figured I should do it. Rather, it seemed to be the need of the hour for me. Hence, I enrolled myself. It was a short course. I would be wrong to say it was a complete waste of my time. I felt good for a while. However, when you are a mess from within with a major in overthinking, then this isn't a permanent solution for you. Thus, my mental health kept deteriorating. I plunged deeper into the hell hole. 


          As time passed, the results ultimately came. Average marking was done in the last exam and NEET was yet to be rescheduled. I had done a good amount of irreversible self-damage. I gave myself a seizure and ended up with a tumor. My health went downhill. I tried meditation, motivational quotes, and, novels. Nothing seemed to work.

          Anything whether it be books or medications only works when you are ready to take it. I was using it to drown the chaos within me. I was not at peace with myself and I needed a distraction. Nothing worked because the struggle within was greater than the knowledge and the peace I sought. 

          Eventually, July arrived. My results had been decent and NEET got scheduled for 13th September. My preparation wasn't good yet. Now, the question was whether I take a drop year, pursue science or switch stream. This bewilderment didn't help with my anxiety. I was fully aware, that I wasn't getting any better. My uncle realized it too. He insisted that I consult a psychologist and I conceded at once. My mother was worried for me and she too needed a consult. 


          My sessions with the psychologist mostly consisted of her giving me the advice to become fit and mentally active. To start my day with a little exercise so as to get my body moving. Followed by one tablespoon of honey mixed with four tablespoon water to reduce anxiety and release happy hormones. Further, the psychologist talked about 'revival of trauma' moments and the importance of grieving in order to prevent such from recurring. She stressed the importance of interaction with my mother and giving hugs to each other. Hugs are therapeutic in nature and act as an injection of cortisol. Additionally, we talked about my career choices. Her advice helped me a lot. Soon, September arrived and I had my exam.

          During the processes, I had talked to people, and one thing that I was certain about was that I would give NEET in 2021. I wasn't done yet. It was this certainty that gave me peace. To sum it up here is a quote from one of my favorite shows: "When we follow our hearts; when we choose not to settle. It's funny, isn't it? A weight lifts. The sun shines a little brighter. And, for a brief moment at least, we find a little peace."

          I found a little peace and after a long time, I was content. In November, during Durga pooja, I visited my grandma. Almost the whole family was there. My uncle had gone to his in-laws and left his copy of The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari on top of the microwave. I was ready this time for the knowledge that I have sought. I was ready to accept what came my way and I had gained my focus. The teacher appears when the student is ready.


The Book

          The book is the beginning of another journey for me. The following writing is a gist about the book. I will not recommend this book to anyone. I believe it will come to the person when they seek it and are ready for it. The book contains various techniques to improve one's life drastically. It answers the question:  How can I live life to the fullest? All techniques and ideas below need not be followed religiously but to the extent one's abilities and situations permit. 


          You are sitting in the middle of a magnificent, lush, green garden. The garden is filled with the most spectacular flowers you have ever seen. The environment is supremely tranquil and silent. Savor the sensual delights of this garden and feel as if you have all the time in the world to enjoy this natural oasis. As you look around you see that in the center of this magical garden stands a towering, red lighthouse, six stories high. Suddenly, the silence of this garden is disturbed by a loud creaking as the door at the base of the lighthouse opens. Out stumbles a nine-foot-tall, nine hundred pound Japanese sumo wrestler wearing pink wire cable who casually wanders into the center of the garden. As this sumo wrestler starts to move around the garden, he finds a shiny gold watch someone had left behind many years earlier. He slips it on and falls to the ground with an enormous thud. The sumo wrestler is rendered unconscious and lies there, silent and still. Just when you think, he has taken his last breath, the wrestler awakens, perhaps stirred by the fragrance of some fresh yellow roses blooming nearby. Energized, the wrestler jumps swiftly to his feet and intuitively looks to his left. He is startled by what he sees. Through the bushes at the very edge of the garden, he observes a long winding path covered by millions of sparkling diamonds. Something seems to instruct the wrestler to take the path, and to his credit, he does. This path leads him down the road of everlasting joy and eternal bliss.  

          The virtue gathered from the above story:
  • The magnificent garden: It represents mastery of one's mind. The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master. It is our thinking which ultimately results in our being positive or negative.  Thus, always sow the seeds of positivity to reap a radiant personality. 
          One can master one's mind by the following techniques:
  1. The heart of roses: Take at least 20 mins a day to concentrate on something. Concentration is the root of mental mastery. For example, concentrate on the center of a rose. This will allow one to control their thoughts. Whenever an unwanted thought enters, use opposition thinking.
  2. Opposition thinking: On entry of a negative thought, quickly replace it with a desirable one. For example, whenever fear slides into the mind regarding a particular exam, replace it with a thought of a positive outcome.
  3. The secret of the lake: Imagine what you want to become. For example, if you want to be an entrepreneur, imagine yourself as a successful business person running a big company. One cannot hit a target that one cannot see.
          Remember, always keep your cup empty. Be ready to learn and accept new ideas. Thus, always have an open mind. However, analyze each thought that enters the mind because the world and that includes one's inner world is a very special place. Only deserving thoughts should hold a place. 
   
          "I am an artist at living, my work of art is my life" - Suzuki. Hence, to make one's masterpiece, invest in oneself. Investing in oneself is the best investment one will ever make. It improves the lives of everyone around as well.

          "Most people live- whether physically, intellectually, or morally- in a very restricted circle of their potential being. We all have reservoirs of life to draw upon of which we do not dream"- William James. Hence, I can is more important than IQ. There will be struggles along the way. It may cause pain. However, to transcend pain, one must first experience it.


          Create in mind only what one desires in reality. Be patient and live with the knowledge that all one is searching for is certain to come if one prepares for it and expects it. Find out what one loves to do and then direct all the energy towards doing it.


  • The towering lighthouse: It represents clarity in goal. The purpose of life is a life of purpose. "I often spend my days in the chaos of crisis. I have to be everywhere at once and I can't seem to please anyone. In those days, I notice that even though I have done very little physical labor, all my worrying leaves me totally deflated by the end of the day. The only thing I can do when I get home is pouring myself a scotch and cuddle up with the remote" which is a dialogue common to many households. To change this, it is important to have a clear purpose and complete focus on it. This can be achieved through self-reflection. 

          Run your own race. Never measure your self worth against other's net worth. Every second you spend thinking about someone else's dreams, you take time away from your own. When one consistently directs one's mind to live in present, one will always have boundless energy, no matter what time the clock reflects. Only those who seek shall find it. Trust yourself.

          "Create the kind of life you will be happy to live with all your life. Make the most of yourself by fanning the tiny, inner sparks of possibility into flames of achievement"- Foster C. McClellan. Self-knowledge is the DNA of self-enlightenment. Concentrate the energy on the goal. The following steps are stepping stone for success:
  1. Writing down the goal
  2. Creating positive pressure
  3. Magic rule of 21 (inculcating a habit by its repetition for 21 days)
  4. Power of ritual
  5. Enjoy the process
          Most importantly, have passion.


  • The sumo wrestler: It represents the practice of kaizen, i.e., self-expansion. "Good people strengthen themselves ceaselessly"- Confucius.

          It is important to build the strength of character, develop mental toughness, and live with courage. It is the courage that allows one to run its own race. Courage allows us to do what we want to do because we know it is right. Courage gives self-control to persist where others have failed. Ultimately, the degree of courage one lives with determines the amount of fulfillment one receives. Those who master themselves have an abundance of courage. The limit in one's life is those that one sets up. It is not the luck that favors the prepared mind but the life that favors the prepared mind.

          There are ten rituals to prepare the mind. The quid pro quo is giving an hour each day to attain a radiant living:

  1. The ritual of solitude to commune with nature.
  2. The ritual of physicality to care for the mind. The secret lies in proper breathing.
  3. The ritual of live nourishment to nourish the mind. Eat the living cells of fruits and vegetables.
  4. The ritual of abundant knowledge. It means life long learning. Knowledge is potential power. For power to be manifested, it must be applied. However, to gain knowledge, one mustn't read everything and anything. Some books are meant to be tasted, some books are meant to be chewed and, finally, some books are meant to be swallowed. 
  5. The ritual of personal reflection for improvements.
  6. The ritual of early awakening for clearer thoughts and a healthy mind. Additionally, sunlight brings positivity. The more we soak it, the positive our approach becomes...
  7. The ritual of music for self-investment.
  8. The ritual of spoken words or mantras. Words hold a great power of influence. One mantra that holds quite a power is, "I am more than I appear to be, all the world's strength and power rest inside me."
  9. The ritual of congruent character holds the principles of industry, compassion, humility, honesty, and, courage. Thus, act with integrity.
  10. The ritual of simplicity or focus on the meaningful.
          All these rituals contribute to self-expansion. Nothing has to be followed to extremes, everything to moderation. Last but not the least,  "We don't laugh because we are happy. We are happy because we laugh"- William James. Laughter opens your heart and soothes your soul. No one should ever take life so seriously that they forget to laugh at themselves. Therefore, always laugh.  

          "We are masters of our fate, the task which has been set before us is not above our strengths; that its pangs and toils are not beyond my endurance. As long as we have faith in our own cause and an unconquerable will to win, victory shall not be denied us"-Winston Churchill.


  • The pink cable wire: It represents a life of discipline. Build discipline and have willpower. Willpower lets one stick to its commitment. It inspires one to do what is right at the moment. It gives one the energy to act with courage. It gives one the control to live the life one has imagined rather than accepting the life one has. 

  • The gold stopwatch: It represents the importance of time. "Well arranged time is the surest mark of a well-arranged mind"- Sir Issac Pitman. It is the busiest people who have time to spare. Thus,  planning is essential. Failing to plan is a plan to fail. 

          Enlightened people are priority-driven. Finally, focus.


  • The fragrant roses: It represents selfless service. "Everything that lives, lives not alone, not for itself"- William Blake. The quality of life comes down to the quality of one's contribution. That is what people are remembered for. The most valuable thing one can give is their time and energy. This has to be accompanied by compassion and kindness. Therefore, give. It is the noblest thing.

  • The path of diamonds: It means embracing the present, living the moment. Happiness is a journey, not a destination. Never, put of happiness. It shouldn't depend on anything. 
"When I admire the wonder of a sunset or the beauty of the moon, my soul expands in the worship of the creator"- Mahatma Gandhi.

Rating: 4/5



          
















          

          

  

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Deciphering With Astha Dhal (Podcast)

The Trials of Apollo- The Hidden Oracle (Book)

Brooklyn Nine Nine! (Series)

The Picture of Dorian Gray (Book)